Hello,

I've got a big problem with host and group variables in my playbook and Im
not
sure if I am just plain stupid or if I am running into a bug or am abusing
ansible in some kind ;)

Some background, I use ansible 1.9.4 installed from brew on OS X.

I have a group of currently two servers and I would like to configure
mariadb
service. As I have lots of parameters for mariadb I tried to split them into
parameters for both servers and put them into a group variable file and
those
exclusive for the single instance are in the host_vars config file:

#> grep -A 3 mariadb group_vars/api.yaml
mariadb:
  version: 10.0
  query_cache_size: 67108864
  log_bin_dir: mariadb-binlogs

#> grep -A 2 mariadb host_vars/api02.yaml
mariadb:
  server_id: 102
  is_master: false

What I expected to happen, was that both arrays will be merged when I run
the
playbook, but instead my playbook bailes out with an missing variable error.
First I thought ansible would miss the group of my server, but variables
from
the all.yaml group file are being loaded.

Using "debug: var=mariadb" I verified the content of the mariadb array to
this:
TASK: [mariadb | debug var=mariadb]
ok: [api02] => {
    "var": {
        "mariadb": {
            "is_master": false,
            "server_id": 102
        }
    }
}

So, as I learned, the mariadb array from the group_vars file got replaced by
the one from the host_vars file. I guess my expectation that those arrays
would
be merged into one large array is plain wrong or did I trigger a bug?

Any ideas on how to to achieve the merge behaviour? It would save me a lot
of
typing and variable duplication if the arrays would be merged instead of
being
replaced.. with two database servers in the group its ok, but if I have to
configure larger groups with for example a dozen servers I would have to
copy
over the whole array.

Greets,
Marcus