We've found an answer to this mystery on the bug report
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/12873 that was posted.  For those
who are interested, yum apparently has two types of groups that it knows
about, package groups and environment groups:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/System_Administrators_Guide/sec-Working_with_Package_Groups.html

In some yum subcommands yum will handle both types transparently.  For
instance: "yum groups install gnome-desktop-environment".  Unfortunately,
ansible needs to install all packages in a single transaction to avoid some
cornercases with  package dependencies.  So we don't specifically use
groups install.  Instead we specify that certain names are groups instead
of packages like this: "yum install @development-tools".  When groups are
given to the install command, you need to specify package groups and
environment groups using slightly different syntax.  Since the
gnome-desktop-environment group is an environmental group, its syntax is
like this: @^gnome-deskop-environment.  So the yum command is: "yum install
@development-tools @^gnome-desktop-environment".

Specifying that to ansible is then simply:

- yum:
    name:
      - "@development-tools"
      - "@^gnome-desktop-environment"
    state: latest

You can tell which type of group you are dealing with by doing a "yum group
list" and looking for which category your desired group falls under in the
output.

-Toshio