Where should I locate files that Ansible template steps need? My developers
want to locate the files next to their Java code. I want the template files
located in the Ansible source repository under the roles/name/templates
directories. If we optimize for developers, then when I deploy, I'll need
to checkout both the Ansible code and any git repositories containing
templates, which seems brittle. Say I have a tomcat application and I want
to deliver property files and config files for my application. The
developers want these files to live next to their java code, not next to
the Ansible code.

A - Templates next to the code:

app1  (developers for app1 just work here)
   +--- templates somewhere in the tree next to the java code

app2  (developers for app2 just work here)
   +--- templates somewhere in the tree next to the java code

Ansible
   roles
      some-role-that-uses-templates
           references app1 files via path
      some-other-role-that-uses-templates
           references app2 files via path

RESULT:
* Developers like where templates are
* Deployment process does not like where templates are. All 3 repositories
have to be checked out to deploy.

B - Templates next to Ansible code:

app1

app2

Ansible
   roles
      some-role-that-uses-templates
           templates for app1 here
      some-other-role-that-uses-templates
           templates for app2 here

RESULT:
* Developers not happy because they have to edit two locations (app# +
Ansible), and create two commits to modify code/deployment
* Deployment process is simplified, only checkout Ansible repository.

Or is there some third better way of doing this that I'm not aware of?

Brian