Aha, sorry. I created an ~/.ansible.cfg file and placed the remote_user
directive in it:

[defaults]
remote_user=vagrant

Then ran the command again:

ansible-playbook -i inventory.yml box1.yml
--extra-vars="ansible_ssh_user=vagrant" -vvvv --private-key=~/.vagrant.d/
insecure_private_key

This time it worked!

However, we run our ansible playbooks from a Tower host and have other jobs
which don't run as that user, so this solution is not good if it sets it
for all playbooks.

As you mentioned ansible_ssh_user should override remote_user I tried
setting remote_user to vagrant2 as a test, but the delegate_to command
still tried to ssh as vagrant2 (so ansible_ssh_user=vagrant was not
overriding it). Is there a way to set remote_user per playbook (or task?).

Kind regards

Andrew