i got a local cache to store files to download from when im deploying for
our production environment thats internal to that network and for that im
using get_url to download stuff.
But there are times when that local cache is not available and i need to
download my stuff from other locations (i.e. the internet).

I could have two steps that
1. try and download from the internal cache
2. if (1) fails, download from the original

but that seems a bit repetitive.

Im not sure if there is another solution for this, but i was thinking maybe
i could get get_url to accept an "alternative_url" and try that if the
primary fails ?

I'd like to hear some input from anyone that is facing similar problems
before re-inventing the wheel.

Cheers,
Mike