Thanks for the input, but that is something that would solve my
requirement only partially.

What I wanted to do was more along the lines of (as someone has
already pointed out, tags do not seem to be exposed in a run):

- name: Run this only and only if the tag was defined
  debug: msg="I am tagged, therefore I run"
  when: myspecialtag in ansible_tags
  tags:
    - myspecialtag

For now I think I would need to stick to the --extra-vars in combination
with --tags.

Perhaps a better description of what I want to do is to be able to
rerun handlers only as needed in order to have a way to clean-up
certain broken runs ("meta"-code provided below):

- name: Run handlers only
  include: ../handlers/main.yml
  when: handlers in ansible_tags
  tags: