You can reference variables within variables.

e.g.
# group_vars/all
---
apple: JameslikesApples
banana: IwentToSanFrancisco

# group_vars/thing1
---
basket: {{ apple }}

# group_vars/thing2
---
basket: {{ banana }}

Then, you can reference {{ basket }} in  your playbook or template:

# site.yml
---
  tasks:
  - name: my basket is cool
    debug: msg="My basket says, {{ basket }}"

Which would translate to
For all hosts in group `thing1`: "My basket says, JameslikesApples"
For all hosts in group `thing2`: "My basket says, IwentToSanFrancisco"