Hi all, we're very happy to announce that Ansible 2.1 has been released!

On the networking front, we’ve included managing networking infrastructure
as first-order feature set in Ansible--no separate download required. We
previously released the Networking tech preview in February at AnsibleFest
in London, and now it is fully integrated into Ansible as part of 2.1
Ansible’s agentless model works particularly well in the network management
space, and with a lot of help and support from the vendors, we are very
pleased to have our first major release with support for these features.
Networking now includes support for:

   - Cisco
   - HP Enterprise
   - Juniper
   - Arista Networks
   - Cumulus Networks

In the Microsoft world, we significantly upped our game for both Windows
and Azure Cloud. We’re happy to take the beta tag off of our Windows
support, and make it a fully supported part of the Ansible automation
platform. As part of this effort, we’ve engaged more deeply with the
pywinrm project team and others to add support for NTLM and Kerberos
delegation. NTLM makes managing domain resources much easier, since domain
users can authenticate with just a username and password, which is enabled
by default in WinRM. Kerberos delegation allows for easy domain-based
multi-hop management (eg, accessing file shares and SQL Server databases
with domain credentials). For Azure, we’ve added a full suite of modules,
as well as an inventory script that targets the new Azure Resource Manager
API. The new modules allow first-class management of most basic resource
types (eg, virtual networks, storage accounts, NICs, virtual machines), as
well as deployment of Azure Resource Manager templates. We’ve also built a
shared framework for supporting new Azure resource types, so it’s much
easier for the Ansible community to keep up with changes to the Azure
platform, and to wrap custom resources in Ansible modules.

On the containers front, our focus for this release is to further mature
our Docker support, with a large effort in making it simple to manage and
scale Docker infrastructure--especially as it relates to your overall
infrastructure. We really focused on our core mission of “radically simple
automation,” and I think we’ve done well. Here are some basics about what’s
new in container-world:

   - docker_service: Allows users to consumer Docker Compose and manage and
   scale multiple services in a standalone environment or Docker Swarm.

In addition to all of these new features, many improvements have been made
to fix backwards compatibility issues with 1.9, so the transition to 2.1
should be a bit smoother for many users.

As always, this update is available via PyPi and releases.ansible.com now,
and packages for distros will be available as soon as possible.

James Cammarata

Ansible Lead/Sr. Principal Software Engineer
Ansible by Red Hat
twitter: @thejimic, github: jimi-c