I still see the same error after correcting the indentation as shown below:

more roles/tor/tasks/main.yml
---
- name: Generate tor files
  template: src=tor.j2 dest="{{ item.hostname }}.txt"
  with_items:
    - hostname: nexus1
    - hostname: nexus2

++++++++++++++++++++
ansible-playbook site.yml
ERROR! conflicting action statements

The error appears to have been in
'/usr/share/ansible/NXS-TEMPLATE/roles/tor/tasks/main.yml': line 2, column
3, but may
be elsewhere in the file depending on the exact syntax problem.

The offending line appears to be:

---
- name: Generate tor files
  ^ here

The error appears to have been in
'/usr/share/ansible/NXS-TEMPLATE/roles/tor/tasks/main.yml': line 2, column
3, but may
be elsewhere in the file depending on the exact syntax problem.

The offending line appears to be:

---
- name: Generate tor files
  ^ here