On Jul 12, 2016 8:51 AM, "mandy galligan" <amandargalli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've recently installed first Ansible 2.2 by cloning the source to my
Ubuntu 14.04 host as per
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/intro_installation.html#latest-releases-via-apt-ubuntu

> The install went fine after running
>
> source ./hacking/env-setup
>

> vagrant@box01:/vagrant/ANSIBLE/RTR-TEMPLATE$ ansible --version
> ansible 2.2.0 (devel ed7623ecde) last updated 2016/07/12 15:18:46 (GMT
+000)
>   lib/ansible/modules/core: (detached HEAD db8af4c5af) last updated
2016/07/12 15:18:53 (GMT +000)
>   lib/ansible/modules/extras: (detached HEAD 482b1a640e) last updated
2016/07/12 15:19:03 (GMT +000)
>   config file =
>   configured module search path = Default w/o overrides
> vagrant@box01:/vagrant/ANSIBLE/RTR-TEMPLATE$
>
> However when I try to run a very simple playbook that creates some
template files that runs on different host with Ansible 1.9.4 it errors
with following :

*************************************

***********************************
> An exception occurred during task execution. To see the full traceback,
use -vvv. The error was: ImportError: cannot import name md5s
> fatal: [tor01.a01]: FAILED! => {"failed": true, "msg": "Unexpected
failure during module execution.", "stdout": ""}
> An exception occurred during task execution. To see the full traceback,
use -vvv. The error was: ImportError: cannot import name md5s
> fatal: [tor01.a02]: FAILED! => {"failed": true, "msg": "Unexpected
failure during module execution.", "stdout": ""}
> An exception occurred during task execution. To see the full traceback,
use -vvv. The error was: ImportError: cannot import name md5s
> fatal: [tor01.a05]: FAILED! => {"failed": true, "msg": "Unexpected
failure during module execution.", "stdout": ""}

> NO MORE HOSTS LEFT
>     to retry, use: --limit @site.retry
>
> PLAY RECAP
> tor01.a01                  : ok=0    changed=0    unreachable=0
failed=1
> tor01.a02                  : ok=0    changed=0    unreachable=0
failed=1
> tor01.a05                  : ok=0    changed=0    unreachable=0
failed=1

> vagrant@box01:/vagrant/ANSIBLE/RTR-TEMPLATE$
>
> vagrant@box01:/vagrant/ANSIBLE/RTR-TEMPLATE$ python
> Python 2.7.6 (default, Jun 22 2015, 17:58:13)
> [GCC 4.8.2] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: cannot import name md5s

This import should be "from ansible.utils.hashing import md5s"  I just
checked the source on the version you have checked out and the code is
being imported in plugins/filter/core.py and it is importing from that
location.  So it should be finding the correct library.  Will be
interesting to see whether doing that at the python prompt works.

You can also run ansible-playbook with -vvvv to get more information about
where the error is occurring.

> Not sure if this means I'm missing some dependency that Ansible-playbook
relies on ?

I wouldn't expect so for this particular error (md5 itself is implemented
in python's standard library and the import error says that we can't import
ansible's code).  The two things that better fit the symptoms are the git
checkout somehow not having the correct files or the Pythonpath not being
setup to use the correct ansible library.  The output of -vvvv should help
figure out the latter.

-Toshio