On the 'how do i apply roles to specific hosts, I'd go for a full
ntp_server role and an ntp_client role.
Then your site.yml looks like

--------------8<---------------

- hosts: ntpservers
  roles:
    - ntp_server

- hosts: servers
  roles:
    - ntp_client
    - presumably_something_useful

--------------8<------------------

if you want to avoid hardcoding a group into the ntp_client roles
templates, you can pass in a group
name using 'parameterised roles' - though TBH that might be overkill.

the folder layout is then something like (for completeness)

.
├── hosts
├── roles
│   ├── ntp_client