On 20.06.2017 01:26, Patrick Matheny wrote:
I'm very new to Ansible.  I have a small lab running and I'm trying to
evaluate the use of Ansible for making network changes.  I have a
workstations running CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 and Ansible 2.3.0 as a fresh install. I'm using a cisco 819 router running Cisco IOS Software, C800 Software (C800-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.3(3)M.3. I can SSH from the workstation to the router from the work station and via putty on a windows
10 machine  but when I try a connection test I get the following:

[pat@new-host-8 ~]$ansible all -m ping
192.168.1.142 | UNREACHABLE! => {
    "changed": false,
"msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: Connection closed\r\n",
    "unreachable": true
}

To run ansible on remote host the host need to support Python.
When using the ping module Ansible creates a little Python script that is copied to the remote and then runs the python script on the remote host.
But network equipment typically doesn't support Python.

Ansible has support for Cisco, the iso_* modules.
These modules are running on the Ansible control machine and do a ssh to the Cisco and runs the appropriate commands on the cli.

--
Kai Stian Olstad