down votefavorite
<https://serverfault.com/questions/868770/ansible-pass-dictionary-from-python-script#>

I am running a Ansible script that calls a python script, which manipulates
some data and turns it into a dictionary. I want to redirect the python
dictionary to a register and then use it replace sections of a json file.
My script runs without any messages. I can run the python script by itself
and it prints out the dictionary.

What am I doing wrong? Is this the best way to do this? Is it better to use
shell, command or script to call python scripts?

pyscript.py
pydict[pykey] = pyvalue
print (pydict)

ansiblescript.yml
---
- hosts: 10.215.237.238
  tasks:

  - name : Gather info
    shell: '/usr/bin/python /home/devoper/scripts/pyscript.py'
    register: pydict

  - name: Insert Info
    replace:
      destfile: /home/devoper/scripts/template.json
      regexp: "KEY1"
      replace: "{{ pydict.pykey }}"
      backup: yes

Thank you for your time.