Hi

On Wed, 2017-08-30 at 11:54 -0700, rtiwari...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello Guys,
> I am planning to develop a custom wrapper language and would like to
> use ansible inside my language. Once the product is ready, will I be
> able to sell it to other customers for free or for some charges?

First: A disclaimer: I am neither an ansible developer nor a legal
professional

Most of ansible is under GPL v3 or later (minor bits are under BSD-
type, but let's ignore those for now...), so you'll have to follow the
GPL License v3

The first place to visit should probably be here: https://www.gnu.org/l
icenses/gpl-3.0.en.html - it is pretty comprehensive. The FAQ is worth
browsing too: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

My own reading of it:
 * You can modify ansible to your heart's content.  The license
implications only kick in if you attempt to distribute (=convey) the
result. Your private modifications are private.
 * it doesn't matter whether you charge for it or not. The GPL license
allows you to charge whatever you like. The people buying the software
from you will have the same rights though, so you cannot stop them from
making further copies and selling them (or distributing them further
for free). See https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllo
wMoney
 * Whether the GPL v3 license applies to your wrapper language depends
on whether it is based on ansible - the looser the connection, the less
GPLv3 applies:
    * If your wrapper language is a derivative of ansible, GPLv3 will
definitely apply.
    * If your wrapper language is distributed separately (and thus the
recipient has to install ansible separately), then GPLv3 is probably
not relevant (but the license for your wrapper language obviously
applies). The recipient still has to obey GPLv3 for ansible.
    * If you distribute your wrapper language with ansible (and make
clear that the different parts have difference licenses), then it is
probably considered an aggregate, which would be OK - https://www.gnu.o
rg/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation
 * If you make a subclass of an ansible-provided class, the subclass is
considered a derivative work, and is thus covered by GPLv3 (similar to
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#OOPLang )

So it boils down to whether your wrapper language would be a derivative
of ansible or not.

How closely will the wrapper language be tied to ansible? By the sound
of it, pretty tight! So the result will probably have to be GPLv3
too:   https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#NFUseGPLPlugins

Hope this helps (more than it confuses...)

--
Karl E. Jorgensen <k...@jorgensen.org.uk>