To follow up on this.

Things I have found that help are:

Set up your networking in your template as close as possible to how you
want it in your cloned VMs.
I got a lot further once I set the networking up in my template VM as
static (I need my clones to use static IPs).

Remove device drivers from your template for any network devices which are
no longer present (You can do this by starting Device Manager (devmgmt.msc)
and clicking on 'Show hidden devices' on the View menu.

If your VM gets stuck on the windows 'Getting Ready' screen, read this, as
not only will it make you laugh and realise others have got past this
particular hurdle:
http://www.hurryupandwait.io/blog/getting-readytroubleshooting-unattended-windows-installation

but also there's a tip in there that will help you debug what is going on.

I had more success when I switched away from the virtual network adapters
that require vmware tools - so instead of using VMXNet 3, things seemed to
work better using device type: 'e1000e' - obviously this is somewhat
hardware dependent so things may be different elsewhere.  Again, set this
up in the template as well is in your playbook.

Hope this helps anyone else trying to do this.

Jon