I am no expert.  I am big fan of doing the simplest thing that works for
now, and then refactoring things when the simplest thing becomes too simple.

Some things that might help you decide what is going to work best for you.

You can have mulitple files in your tasks folder in your role.  This lets
you split up say installing tomcat and configuring it.  your tasks/main.yml
then just includes the files with the tasks that you need.   This starts to
pay off when you can start using include_role: and tasks_from so you can
reuse bits of a role as appropriate in other roles.
see http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/include_role_module.html

You may find using role defaults useful, as you can have say a default
version of java but override it with playbook or inventory vars if you need
to have a different version for one particular situation.

You can pass parameters to roles, which might help you with solution 3.
You can probably make the parameters optional by using the default
filter
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/playbooks_filters.html#defaulting-undefined-variables

if its not always appropriate to pass a parameter to your role.

I think what you wind up with will depend very much on your situation.  If
you are hosting many apps for many different customers at different
versions then you will wind up with something different from somewhere
where you are hosting an application that is shared by one or more clients.

Hope this helps,

Jon