On 12.12.2017 23:56, Mike Johnston wrote:
*hosts file:*
[group1]
system1
system2
system3

roles/fubar/templates/mytest.j2

{% if inventory_hostname == "server1" %}
This is a test
{% endif %}

This works... but what if I want this line on server1 and server3?
Preferably something a role assigned in defaults/main.yml file like:

ImportantServers: [ 'server1' , 'server3' ]

{% if inventory_hostname in groups[ 'ImportantServers'] %}
This is a test
{% endif %}

That doesn't work however. I think it's because the groups is referring to the hosts file and not looking at the defaults. If someone could tell me
what I'm doing wrong and not shame me too badly that would be great.

Since ImportantServers is in defaults it's a variable and not a group, so just lose the groups. Groups is something you define in inventory or with the module group_by and add_host.

{% if inventory_hostname in ImportantServers %}
This is a test
{% endif %}

--
Kai Stian Olstad