Thanks Brian,
I'm aware of the current functionality in regards to the "_meta" object vs
list/host.
My question is simply if its possible to _not_ populate a full hostvars
dict for every node in the inventory in situations where the majority of
the nodes are filtered out using the '--limit'

Its not a huge problem for us to write some custom pre-generator that runs
before ansible-playbook is invoked, but imho its definetely cleaner to
avoid it. From the comments so far I'm guessing the functionality I'm after
isn't present in Ansible right now.