Sorry, pressed send inadvertently there...

-----Original Message-----
From: william.doss...@gmail.com <william.doss...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, July 8, 2019 10:09 AM
To: ansible-project@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [ansible-project] using different remote_user until success

Hi Brian, this seemed like a good way to do it, but I haven't been able to make
it work - I haven't done much logic in my plays... mostly just point and shoot
tasks.

---
- hosts: test
  gather_facts: false
  tasks:
  - name: try users
    remote_user: "{{ item }}"
    ping:
    ignore_unreachable: true
    failed_when: false
    with_items:
      - centos
      - root
      - ec2-user

When I run this, it loops 3 times, and at the start of each I get...

<xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx> ESTABLISH SSH CONNECTION FOR USER: centos

failed: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] (item=centos) => {
    "ansible_loop_var": "item",
    "item": "centos",

< xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx > ESTABLISH SSH CONNECTION FOR USER: centos

failed: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] (item=root) => {
    "ansible_loop_var": "item",
    "item": "root",
    "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: Permission denied
(publickey,password).",
    "unreachable": true
< xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx > ESTABLISH SSH CONNECTION FOR USER: centos
failed: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] (item=ec2-user) => {
    "ansible_loop_var": "item",
    "item": "ec2-user",
    "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: Permission denied
(publickey,password).",
    "unreachable": true
}

So the item is changing, but it seems that you can only set remote_user once?

I assume remote_user is what I should be using in the playbook?  Ansible_user
in the config file and remote_user in the playbook right?

This seems like great solution if I could get it to work.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated at this point.

Regards
Bill