I hate having to constantly go here to solve issues like this,
especially when the issues I keep presenting are all so similar, but
eventually I have to just give up trying to solve this on my own and ask.

    I want to define a structure in a vars file that looks like the
following:

myos: {

    configdir: "/path/to/directory",

    configfile: "filename"

}

my_configdir: "{{ansible_facts.distribution}}.configdir"

my_configfile: "{{ansible_facts.configfile}}.configfile"

    I want to do something similar to the following:

stat:

    path:  "{{my_configdir}}/{{my_configfile}}"

    register: result

    Unfortunately, path is being resolved to
"myos.configdir/myos.configfile", not the expected
"/path/to/directory/filename".  I have tried using various methods of
concatenating variables together, including trying the 'vars' lookup
plugin, but I have not been able to work this out after two days of
trying.  So, here I am, back at the well, looking for another answer.  Does
anyone have any advice?