From: ansible-project@googlegroups.com <ansible-project@googlegroups.com> on
behalf of Yarno Cobussen <y.cobus...@gmail.com>
Sent: August 23, 2019 2:16 PM
To: Ansible Project <ansible-project@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [ansible-project] Re: Ansible and Windows Project

Hi Simon-Pierre,

GPO's can be managed using PowerShell. Registry based GPO settings
(administrative templates) can be updated through PS as well. Ansible can be
used to execute these PS commands. This will help to get you started:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/ee461027(v=technet.10)

Also, in your setup, using Desired State Configuration could be interesting.
Just like GPO, it's build into Windows, but it's more lightweight, versatile
and domain independent. It is, however, not a full replacement for GPO in all
cases. DSC can be managed using a dedicated Ansible module. This will help you
decide if it's useful to you:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ashleymcglone/2017/02/27/compare-group-policy-gpo-and-powershell-desired-state-configuration-dsc/
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/user_guide/windows_dsc.html<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fdocs.ansible.com%2fansible%2flatest%2fuser_guide%2fwindows_dsc.html&c=E,1,-ECckTxOLI6e1Iy4r3cXGBsbduAOenfPP_6pS3Q0flJJmkRYVqHLzdtr3c2MyWXAwAuvYFS4CvIUyFa8gCxv_ZqpUKOcOJkclkR8CsiOP0_Hf3jCZdTGEw0q&typo=1>

Lastly, I advice against manually setting registry keys. An intermediary tool
such as GPO or DSC is there for a reason. It helps audit what is set where and
why, from within a configured system. This makes troubleshooting, reverting a
key deployment or any small alteration far more comfortable for sysadmins. This
is especially true for those who do not have a deep understanding of what your
playbooks did to every system they're responsible for.

Hopefully this helps you decide on what to do.

Regards,
Yarno