There are probably several ways of doing this and it would probably be best
if you experiment a bit to find out what makes most sense for you.

Personally I am more familiar with the 'ini' style of inventory so I'm not
sure what problem you are really facing with the inventory.
It might be easier to understand if you shared a playbook that illustrated
the problem.
One trick you can use while you are experimenting with inventory is to use
'ansible-inventory --list --yaml' which will dump out the parsed inventory.

Personally I would probably not try to model individual applications as
part of inventory - to me, inventory is really about what machines you have.
I might use host_vars or group_vars to record which jboss applications are
on which hosts or groups of hosts.  If you have long lists of applications
though, that might get tedious if you have to loop through lots of them
every time you need to update just one or two applications.

One way to get round that might be to make a role which takes a parameter
which controls which application is to be updated.  I imagine a lot of the
steps to deploy a jboss application will be the same regardless of which
application is being deployed and which jboss instance it is being deployed
to.

So I think it would be worth trying to come up with the playbook(s) you
want to use against your jboss instances but be prepared to re-visit your
inventory.

Also it might be worth thinking about what you are optimizing for.  It
sounds like you are attempting to keep the number of windows instances down
to a minimum but also maintain a high level of isolation between your web
applications (if not you could perhaps run some of them inside the same
jboss instance).  If you have flexibility to change that (or need to change
it so you can run say development or test applications in a different
configuration from production), that's another thing to bear in mind when
writing playbooks.  Our team was able to consolidate a number of web apps
into a single web app which let us reduce start up times massively, which
was important for us at the time.

Hope this helps,

Jon