On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 06:03:47AM -0700, Andrew Meyer wrote:
> Here is what I am getting:
>
> ansible -m ping 10.150.1.1 --user=ansible
> [WARNING]: sftp transfer mechanism failed on [10.150.1.1]. Use
> ANSIBLE_DEBUG=1 to see detailed information
> [WARNING]: scp transfer mechanism failed on [10.150.1.1]. Use
> ANSIBLE_DEBUG=1 to see detailed information
> 10.150.1.1 | FAILED! => {
> "changed": false,
> "module_stderr": "Shared connection to 10.150.1.1 closed.\r\n",
> "module_stdout": "fw01 # Unknown action 0\r\n\r\nfw01 # ",
> "msg": "MODULE FAILURE\nSee stdout/stderr for the exact error",
> "rc": 0
> }
>
> On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 2:49:51 PM UTC-5, Andrew Meyer wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone gotten a fortinet/fortigate playbook to work?  I have a
> > Fortigate 100D running 6.2.2 and I can't get it to pass an ansible ping.

I don't know what a Fortigate is, but I guess some kind of network equipment.

Ansible ping is not a ICMP ping, it's a module that copies a Python script to
the remote host and run the Python script on that host.

Most network equipment doesn't have a proper shell(which "default" Ansible
need) and Python installed.

So to use Ansible you need to use the raw and/or expect module so interact with
the device.
You also have Ansible for Network that might work
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/network/index.html

--
Kai Stian Olstad