Thanks Brian

Not quite sure I understand, it's the output I'm trying to get (more of)
to understand why it's failing.

In case it helps at all

Here's the play 2 created that it fails on. This is fine to run directly
through ansible-playbook, just not through that play1

- hosts: nott
  become: yes
  vars_files:
    - /$LINUX_PLAYBOOKS/paperless/mont_nott_vars.yml
  tasks:
  roles:
    # - geerlingguy.postgresql
    - paperless-ng
    # - geerlingguy.nginx

Here's the section of play 1
  # post_tasks:
  - name: run the play - $LINUX_PLAYBOOKS/paperless/{{play_filename}}
    import_playbook: $LINUX_PLAYBOOKS/paperless/{{play_filename}}
    register: playoutput
    ignore_errors: yes
    # delegate_to: 127.0.0.1
    become: yes
    # debugger: on_failed

  - name: get debug output
    debug:
      var: playoutput

Does that help, or is there something else I can run to get more detail
from that mysterious " See stdout/stderr for the exact error"
That's what the debug var playoutput should provide isn't it ??