hei Dick,

thx for your getting back to me

On 22.09.21 20:39, Dick Visser wrote:
I just tried this out and apparently the path you specify for ANSIBLE_CONFIG has to actually exist:
sorry, I was not clear enough obviously. The real-life .cfg file I am pointing at *does exist* naturally.

Maybe my understanding is mislead ...

 * I assume the file name (everything preceding the .cfg ending) can be
   chosen freely and does not require the string 'ansible' being part
   of it, right? Still, same as you even if I can validate the
   existence of the ANSIBLE_CONFIG variable it does not show via
   ansible --version neither.
 * Maybe I get the understanding of hierarchy not quite right? I was
   thinking that once set the ANSIBLE_CONFIG environment variable would
   overrule all other (fallback) configuration files. That would make
   much sense to me but maybe the variable is the least mighty one and
   not the boss in the ring as I thought?

all best
Gunnar

dick.visser@ams-049 ~ % export ANSIBLE_CONFIG=/opt/nonexistent/ansible.cfg
dick.visser@ams-049 ~ % ansible --version
ansible 2.10.12
   config file = /Users/dick.visser/.ansible.cfg
   configured module search path =
['/Users/dick.visser/.ansible/plugins/modules',
'/usr/share/ansible/plugins/modules']
   ansible python module location =
/Users/dick.visser/.pyenv/versions/3.9.6/lib/python3.9/site-packages/ansible
   executable location = /Users/dick.visser/.pyenv/versions/3.9.6/bin/ansible
   python version = 3.9.6 (default, Aug 11 2021, 12:13:01) [Clang
12.0.5 (clang-1205.0.22.11)]

dick.visser@ams-049 ~ % export ANSIBLE_CONFIG=/opt/ansible.cfg
dick.visser@ams-049 ~ % ansible --version
ansible 2.10.12
   config file = /opt/ansible.cfg
   configured module search path =
['/Users/dick.visser/.ansible/plugins/modules',
'/usr/share/ansible/plugins/modules']
   ansible python module location =
/Users/dick.visser/.pyenv/versions/3.9.6/lib/python3.9/site-packages/ansible
   executable location = /Users/dick.visser/.pyenv/versions/3.9.6/bin/ansible
   python version = 3.9.6 (default, Aug 11 2021, 12:13:01) [Clang
12.0.5 (clang-1205.0.22.11)]

On Wed, 22 Sept 2021 at 19:53, dulhaver via Ansible Project