I'm trying to save the timestamp corresponding to when a playbook runs in a
variable.
I plan to use this variable across the playbook but I'm facing issues
particularly since

the lookup plugin runs and generates a new value each time.
  module_defaults:
    group/ns.col.session:
      session_id: "{{ lookup('pipe','date \"+%Y-%m-%d-%H%M\"') }}"

The value is looked up at the time that it is needed

I could use set_fact: but it only works inside of the tasks: block and I'd
like to set it to some value before any task can run i.e. right after hosts.

- hosts:
   - localhost

  module_defaults:
    group/ns.col.session:
      session_id: .............

How do I achieve this WITHOUT using set_fact OR without using the lookup() ?
In other words, how to save or copy the value of a lookup to some variable
?

Thanks
Dhiwakar