Hi,

> I'm fairly new to this. I'm using ansible 2.9.6 on Ubuntu 20.04.

that version is really old and outdated. You should upgrade at least to
the latest 2.9.x release (2.9.27), or even to the latest Ansible
release (5.2.0).

This is the correct syntax (assuming your domain name is
inventory_hostname):

> when: acme_challenge_mydomain is changed and inventory_hostname in
> acme_challenge_mydomain['challenge_data']

Without knowing your playbook...

> but in both cases the task executes even though I can see with a
> debug task that challenge_data is empty:
> ..."challenge_data": {},...

...it's hard to say why this happens.

Same for this:

> My second question is... I have remaining_days set to 91, and there
> are 89 days left, so shouldn't I have data in challenge_data?

There should be. (You can also set `force: true` to force regeneration.)

Are you sure that you are really running the playbook that you
modified, and not something else?

Cheers,
Felix