On 15/04/2022 12:45, dudu.c...@gmail.com wrote:
First of all thank you - it works.

But, can i spare  the following definition  ? *groups['web-server']*
Basically in the begging of the playbook I'm defining the group under hosts

- hosts: web-server

You could try ansible_play_hosts instead.

Regards
        Racke

ב-יום שישי, 15 באפריל 2022 בשעה 11:58:31 UTC+3, ra...@linuxia.de כתב/ה:

    On 15/04/2022 09:18, dudu.c...@gmail.com wrote:
     > Hi,
     >
     > I have X amount of server inside a defined group (For example - web
server)
     > I want to loop the server a define there hostname based on index+1
     >
     > For example, if the group have 3 server , so server one should be "web-server1" ,
second , "web-server-2" etc.

     > The below didnt do the trick - since it is looping the sequence for each
server
     > - hosts: web-server
     >   remote_user: user
     >   become: yes
     >   tasks:
     >     - name: Set a hostname
     >       hostname:
     >         name: web-server-{{ item }}
     >

     >       with_sequence: count=3

    Using a loop is futile here, as you found out. But you can do that with a
bit Python:

    - name: Set a hostname
    hostname:
    name: "web-server-{{ groups['web-server'].index(inventory_hostname) }}"

    Regards
    Racke

email to ansible-proje...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:ansible-proje...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/4d7a9bb7-6403-4ac9-b77f-4212fafc5680n%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/4d7a9bb7-6403-4ac9-b77f-4212fafc5680n%40googlegroups.com>

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/4d7a9bb7-6403-4ac9-b77f-4212fafc5680n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/4d7a9bb7-6403-4ac9-b77f-4212fafc5680n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

-- Automation expert - Ansible and friends
    Linux administrator & Debian maintainer
    Perl Dancer & conference hopper

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/fe43e1e3-ea11-4626-8855-2039a1b786a4n%40googlegroups.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/fe43e1e3-ea11-4626-8855-2039a1b786a4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.