Last week I said, "If somebody knows how to do it I'd love to see your
solution." Well, I found the solution hiding in plain sight in
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/playbook_guide/complex_data_manipulation.html#id15

and it boils down to this one-liner:

*    q('vars', *q('varnames', '^group_comment_'))*

That asterisk isn't a typo; it's Python argument list unpacking
<https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/controlflow.html#unpacking-argument-lists>.
I had not appreciated how that could be used in Jinja expressions, but
there it is.