The doc says it should do what you’re after.

If you set any_errors_fatal and a task returns an error, Ansible finishes the fatal task on all hosts in the current batch, then stops executing the play on all hosts. Subsequent tasks and plays are not executed. You can recover from fatal errors by adding a rescue section to the block. You can set any_errors_fatal at the play or block level.

 I never have used it personally, but are you setting any_errors_fatal:true at the task level or playbook level?

Sent from my iPhone