That is not a correct assessment of the issue. The server software handling
the upload is incapable of utilizing the Content-Transfer-Encoding of
multipart form data, and the python standard lib code is only capable of
sending binary data with a base64 (or similar) encoding.

It is possible, but may be dependent on the server software that is
receiving the data.

Matt Martz
@sivel
sivel.net