We have the VSS directory on the machine where our VSS repository is located
shared
under NT.  So in our build scripts we access the ss.exe located on that
machine
instead of the one on the local box.

You can run Ant in verbose mode (-verbose) to see exactly what command line
you are using.

Also make sure you are using the newest version of Ant, there were some
patches
applied to VSSGET since Ant version 1.2.  There is also a VSSLABEL task but
I don't think it's documented in the main Ant documentation.

Ken