From: Nico Seessle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 23 April 2001 09:04
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Javac not generating class files.

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 9:46 AM

> I've now had an opportunity to look at the jikes home page and followed
the
> links for jikes on Solaris .. but that hasn't been written yet.  Do people
> use jikes on Solaris?

Hmm... I would like to have a look at Solaris and downloaded it (Intel-based
Solaris8), buw had no success to find a video-driver for my Diamond Viper
550 :-( So no, I don't use it now.

> I also notice from the advantages of jikes that the dependency analysis
> provides makefile generation .. in which case what is the role of ant?

Regarding makefile generation? Ant will do it's best to ignore them :-)

> Incidentally, we do have code in the final release that doesn't compile!
:-)
> I'm a little puzzled over this as well, but apparently it has been
approved
> because it is restricted to some example classes.  Examples of how not to
> code presumably :-) ..  don't tell my development team I said that!

Ok, than using jikes will not help you either. Maybe you should build the
examples on it's own and ignore errors in them (failonerror="false"), but
personally I won't like a production build with any error at all. If I had
examples that don't compile I would deliver them as source only maybe.

Nico

Part of the Halifax Group, Halifax plc, Registered in England No. 2367076.  Registered
Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2RG. Represents only the Halifax
Financial Services Marketing Group for the purposes of advising on and selling life
assurance, pensions and unit trust business.  The Marketing Group is regulated by the
Personal Investment Authority.  Switchboard 01422 333333.