Yet another case where the idea I just proposed (to set a property's
value from the execution of a process) would be useful...

On windows 2k at least, you could do this:

<property environment="env"/>
<property sysname="${env.COMPUTERNAME}"/>

On unix you could maybe use ${env.HOSTNAME} or, more
generally uname -n, but at the moment there's no convenient way
to capture the output of a process in a property.  If you have cygwin
installed on your windows hosts then uname -n would work regardless
of where you are, or you could use the os attribute of an exec
task that had the added capability of putting its output into
a property...

-Peter