>I don't think you are doing anything wrong.  When I use your sample
>project file, it works as expected when named build.xml or simple.xml.
>What version of ant are you using?  I'm getting the feeling you are using
>a *really* old version that shipped with Tomcat.  Check the version with
>
>ant -version
>
>With Ant 1.3 you should get something like
>
>Ant version 1.3 compiled on March 2 2001

Hi all,

thank you very much for your help. I'm using Ant 1.3 on NT 4, so
that's not the problem.

But I found a workaround. Usually I am not using the standard shell.
When I switched to Windows' command prompt, everything worked fine!
So I wrote my own, very simple ant.bat along the lines of the
documentation ("Running Ant by Hand"), and everything is fine.

I did not bother searching for the cause of the problem, however.
Time is running short...

It's a good feeling receiving help that fast. Thanks.

Bern.d

Bernd Gruendling                            Custom Software Development
Systemberatung Softwaredesign                    for Mac OS and Windows

Wendenstrasse 16                                Phone: +49 5363 97676-0
38448 Wolfsburg, Germany                    Facsimile: +49 5363 97676-9