Couldnt you just specify the properties file location with a

ant -DANT_PROPERTIES_LOCATION=$ANT_PROPERTIES_LOCATION

And then using the <properties/>  tag inside like this

<property environment="${ANT_PROPERTIES_LOCATION" />

The users would be responsible for specifying the proper path to the properties file,
or like in my example this could be a system variable that is set for each user in
their login shell scripts.

-Ben

Kyle Adams wrote:

> The problem I ran into with this is that the root, or the drive that
>development-related stuff was stored on, changed depending on the user.  For some it
>was d:, for others c:, and for others still, plain ol' *nix root ('/').  So the
>location of their source tree changed.  Which mean that Ant couldn't count on this
>file being in any particular location.  So by placing a properties file in
>${user.home}, which Ant could ALWAYS locate, and by setting a ${root} variable in
>that properties file, I could bootstrap the main properties file (the one stored in
>the source tree).
>
> On a related note, I hope that ${user.home} (or a similar solution) doesn't go away
>in Ant2.  It's extremely useful variable (as shown above) for cross-platform Ant
>deployment.
>
> Kyle

> I don't know that I'd recommend having a requirement that a file used in
> the production of the build be placed in a user's home directory -- you
> can allow for the option of users having a properties file in their home
> directory in order to set the value of customizable properties, but you
> shouldn't have a requirement that their home directory contains a
> properties file necessary to the build. If you have properties files you
> include as part of the build, better to have them in the tree the
> build-files live in (presumably, your source-tree).
begin:vcard
n:Stocum;Ben
tel;home:442-1316
tel;work:383-3510
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.paychex.com
org:Paychex, Inc;Enterprise Development
adr:;;911 Panorama Trail S.;Rochester;NY;14625-2396;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Developer Lv 1
fn:Ben Stocum