Sounds like you want to install the binary distribution, not build it from
source. In which case, just pick up jakarta-ant-1.3-bin.zip from:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-ant/release/v1.3/bin/

Download it to where you want it to live (eg., /usr/local/ant), then 'cd'
there, and unjar it ('jar xvf jakarta-ant-1.3-bin.zip'). Then just add
/usr/local/ant/jakarta-ant-1.3/bin to your $PATH, set ANT_HOME to
/usr/local/ant/jakarta-ant-1.3 and JAVA_HOME to where the JDK you plan to
use lives, and you should be good to go.

Diane

=====
([EMAIL PROTECTED])