It looks like you have something setting the SAXParserFactory system property.
If there wasn't one Saxon would be using its AElfred sax parser and that is an
XMLReader (i.e. it is a SAX2 parser)

 I am using Saxon 6.3 and have the jaxp 1.1 files (jaxp.jar, crimson.jar) from Sun in
my classpath. I removed the jaxp.jar and
parser.jar files that are by default installed in the ant/lib directory.

hth