Title: RE: target as a property

We'll never get this resolved this way. This is basically the old cathedral .vs. bazaar debate : http://tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/.

Quoth Peter: "The path to perl is paved with good intentions".  Hey, Perl *does* have millions of users, and the number grows every day, so they must be doing something right in the middle of all those screwups :-) (given all the choices these days - Python, etc.)

On the other hand, the Perl 6 feature list proposals contains a number of "anti-features" - experiments in Perl 5 that the maintainers have come to recognize as mistakes, and are trying to figure out how to deprecate..

Tough choice. As Peter says: the best thing may be to fork the codebase (after 1.4 spins off), and have a group of volunteers evolve ant with more scripting features, and see if it's a mistake or not.

--
Shankar.