On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Jason Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am trying to build a set of source files but I want to exclude
> certain directories (using Ant 1.3 and Java 1.3).

... and still classes from these packages get compiled, I guess.

You are dealing with (at least) two layers here: Ant and javac.

(1) Ant will scan through your directory tree to search for sources
that are newer than their corresponding class files and pass them to
javac.  This is where the excludes should apply - run "ant -verbose"
to see which files Ant actually hands to javac.

(2) javac will compile all source files Ant has given to it *and* all
source files these depend upon, if this additional files happen to be
newer than the .class files.

If step two is leading to your (unknown) problems, you must make sure
javac cannot find the sources, or reduce the dependencies.  Copying
the sources you want to compile to a different location would satisfy
the first option.

Stefan