Howdy, all.

I have a four year old project whose directory structure really cannot be
changed.  Further, it is checked into cvs under org, com, and edu, and that
cannot change either.  I want to use ANT to do our builds.

Our directory system is set up as follows:

-org
--metagraph
---app
----import
---build  (used to hold CodeWarrior projects for persist,util,etc builds.)
---lib  (used to hold libs used by the build subdirectory.)
---persistence
----jdbc
-----query
-----util
---model
----query
---util

Every file is in the proper package for its directory - a file in
org-metagraph-persistence is in the org.metagraph.persistence package.  We
want to make one jar containing everything in the three directories
org.metagraph.persistence, org.metagraph.model, and org.metagraph.util, and
the directories beneath them.

We want to make a second jar for org.metagraph.app.import, with the
potential for more such jars as we build more metagraph
applications.  These will need the metagraph.jar created in the last step.

Every ANT project I have seen thus far has been organized as:

-metagraph
--src
---org
----metagraph
-----app
------import
-----persistence
------jdbc
-------query
-------util
-----model
------query
-----util

and a second project in cvs, organized as:

-metagraph-import
--src
---org
----metagraph
-----app
------import

Because the project is a good four years old at this point, I am not going
to be able to re-organize the cvs hierarchy, nor am I going to be able to
get people to update build scripts.  I CAN make sure that nobody checks
code in to any directory that will not build, so it is perfectly OK for me
to write a build file that says "build everything in model and persistence,
then jar it up".

I can also add anything I like to org.metagraph.build or
org.metagraph.lib.  I can also create directories in org.metagraph.

So, my questions are:

Can I write a build script that lives in org-metagraph that javac's and
jars up everything in persistence, model, and util, as well as anything
below them, without explicitly listing anything in build.xml other than the
three persistence, model, and util directories?  Getting the packages right
is critical.

Can I then write a build script in org-metagraph-app-import that javac/jar
as appropriate for that jar as well?

(I realize these are pretty basic, but after looking through the tutorials
on the site, and the mailing list archive, I did not see anyone setting
things up this way.)

Scott
Scott Ellsworth
[EMAIL PROTECTED]