This is not normal.
There is crimson.jar and jaxp.jar along with ant.jar in lib directory.
crimson is the DOML2/SAX2 parser, jaxp is the jaxp 1.1 interfaces.

> So I took the old jaxp.jar file from my Ant1.3 and then the
> problems started

Not a good idea since jaxp.jar in Ant 1.3 is JAXP 1.0 that was with
parser.jar which was DOML1
Use the one shipped with Ant 1.4.x unless you know perfectly what you are
doing.
Plus crimson and jaxp are bugfix releases for JAXP 1.1 release.

Stephane.