oh,
I forgot to mention that you could put the information also within an
xml file within the jar file.

I'm planning to do that sooner or later, because it allows you to store
more information easily.

For example you store the version numbers of the jar-files the jar file
depends on.
This information could then be used to check if an installation is valid.

Regards,
Markus