Well. I checked the error messages very carefully this time and when I
tried running a style task, I got a deprecation error that further
advised me to use a Trax or Xalan XSLT processor. So I fired up the ol'
Internet Connection and downloaded Xalan-J, copied the xalan.jar into
the lib directory under ant and voila, it worked as well as I could ask.
:-)

Mega thanks to everyone on the Apache team for all your wonderful work!
:-)

Simon