Yes they are but as stated they are developpement version that is: not
stable.
The Xalan team will not ship anymore Xalan compatibility API for Xalan 1
with Xalan2.

If you require the Xalan 1 API you'd better migrate to JAXP if possible or
to the Xalan 2 API.

Small note: If you have a code that use the Xalan1 API and that was compiled
with Xalan1 chance is that it will not work with the Xalan1 compatibility
jar. You must compile with the compatibility jar otherwise you will get the
error you have.
Unless we did a mistake, optional.jar was compiled with the Xalan1
compatibility jar.

The current code in JUnit report looks first for Xalan2 then Xalan1. JUnit
report "needs" Xalan because it makes use in the stylesheet of a
xalan-specific redirect extension.

Stephane