> Does anybody know in which projects Ant's <depend> task has been
> successfully used? If so, pointers are most welcome.
Yes, it works great for me.  I use it like this:

<target name="compile" depends="prepare">
        <depend srcdir="${src.home}"
                destdir="${compile.to}"
                cache="${depend.cache.home}"
                closure="yes"
        />
        <javac
                srcdir="${src.home}"
                destdir="${compile.to}\"
                debug="on"

                <classpath refid="project.classpath"/>
        </javac>
</target>

> Is the <depend> task able to "look" into JARs (provided they are included
> in the CLASSPATH) in case import statements in the source code refer to
> classes contained within these JAR files? If not, is there a possible way
> (without having to write a custom task in Java) of making Ant do this?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I do not think <depend> will do that, but it is not clear to me what do you
want it to acomplish. What it does now is delete classes that depend on
classes that are out-of-date and thus will be recompiled. How would that
work in a jar? where would the source code for the classes in the jar be?

Ylan Segal.