Let me put it this way...we are working out a vision paper and we
do not want to publish our stuff yet. While selecting the part of
the tool chain, I decided to use continuous integration. Due to
the estimated customer project size we want to support, distributed
builds are necessary to drive down build times from half a day to
one hour or less. That was the lesson learned in a project with
100 developers.

So, for the sake of build times I am convinced that ant should
at least support an interface to plug into environments which
work with distributed builds. To keep ant reasonably small it
might be a good idea, not to include the required functionality
in ant itself.

Generally, the "distributed build" question is a serious design
issue which has to bee taken into account early. Can you answer
the question which is the biggest project ant should support?

Regards,

Andreas