Tim,

> I wish to use both the 'modern' compiler and the 'jikes' compiler for
> different targets (don't ask why - it's necessary due to some
> problems with both :).

I think you can solve your problem by putting one of the javac targets in
a separate buildfile, and then call it using:

    <ant antfile="otherJavacTargetBuildfile.xml" inheritAll="false"/>

The "inheritAll" means that the ${build.compiler} can be overridden to
allow you to change the compiler type in the new buildfile.

I haven't tried this out but I think it should work.

Try it and let us on the list know...

Andy.

--
Andrew Beacock