----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jakarta ANT User's List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 00:12
Subject: Ant task for redeploying web applications on Tomcat

> Hello,
>
> I searched the mail archives and couldn't find any tasks for redeploying
web
> applications on Tomcat, so I wrote one myself this afternoon (very
> bare-bones... it doesn't check for errors, all exceptions will stop the
> build).  If anyone is interested they can download it from
> http://www.java-internals.com/code/index.html.
>
> -Chris
>
> P.S. It relies on the http-client commons package available from Jakarta.
> I've included it in my distribution of the tomcat-deploy task
>
> P.P.S. Any suggestions or contributions would be appreciated.

I have looked into dooing this; right now I can do it with a <get> in the
system. To get it work properly I think I'd need to change tomcat's manager
class. I'd be interested to know how you worked around the problems I
encountered

1. the upload mechanism where you provide a url to a remote WAR file does
not do hot updates after the first upload; from then on tomcat goes 'there
is a local copy so lets just start that'

2. the servlet responses are not easily parsable: you might think they are
but since they are 18in-izabe resource strings they may  be different on
different locales

The fixes I'd have to do: XML response from the servlet and better reload
behavior would both be tomcat side; once they were done it would make sense
to include the task in the tomcat codebase, rather than ant, so it will be
in sync better.

-steve