Jay Riddell wrote:

> Yes, I am TRYING to do that.
> But I am failing miserably.
> There are NO EXAMPLES on how to do this; there is only Javadoc
> on the API itself (with very little extra explanatory text).
>
> OK, maybe I am not being specific enough here.
>
> Here is the java code that I have written that attempts
> to compile a "Hello, world" java file:
> http://home.attbi.com/~theriddells/CompileIt.java
>
> And here are the results that I get:
> http://home.attbi.com/~theriddells/results.txt

You could look at Ant's testcases which contain the following code

     protected void configureProject(String filename) {
         logBuffer = new StringBuffer();
         fullLogBuffer = new StringBuffer();
         project = new Project();
         project.init();
         project.setUserProperty( "ant.file" , new
File(filename).getAbsolutePath() );
         project.addBuildListener(new AntTestListener());
         ProjectHelper.configureProject(project, new File(filename));
     }

What you would need to do then would be to replace the ProjectHelper
call with one that creates your targets and tasks, etc.

Conor